Re: Default Debian install harassed me

On Mon, Oct 07, 2019 at 12:00:11AM +0300, goleo . wrote:
>On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 10:49 PM Steve McIntyre <93sam@debian.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 06, 2019 at 09:50:54PM +0300, goleo . wrote:
>> >Hi.
>> >
>> >After installing Debian 10 on my laptop (I choose desktop LXQT)
>> >I noticed that Xarchiver is preinstalled and it was inconvenient
>> >to me in the past, so I opened Synaptic to remove it. But when
>> >I click on "xarchiver" and choose "Mark for Removal" or
>> >"Mark for Complete Removal" it says it'll install Ark,
>> >KDE 5 Frameworks and GNUSTEP.
>> >
>> >Here is the video proof:
>> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1IoGQP1omE
>>
>> I don't see any harassment here. Can you explain what you think might
>
>This is harassment because you force me to use either
>Xarchiver or Ark, you don't give me the choice to use none.
>(Actually I wanted to install PeaZip which you don't provide
>as a package, so why would I want to keep Xarchiver?)
>
>All normal package managers would just remove everything
>that depends on Xarchiver, not force me to install alternative.
>
>You are a bunch of hypocrites and assholes, you are not
>fighting for freedom, you just provide separate contrib and
>non-free repositories just to make up illusion of fighting fighting
>for freedom.
>
>If you really fought for freedom, I would have a freedom to
>just remove what I don't like (Xarchiver) and everything that
>depends on it (as long as it's not an optional dependency).

Two points:

 1. If you don't like the dependencies in the packaging system, there
    are multiple better ways to deal with this. File bugs, or work
    around this with tools like equivs. Ranting about imagined
    "harassment" here is not gaining you anything.

 2. Being instantly abusive is a great way to lose any sympathy people
    might have for you. - you're asking people to write off any valid
    points you might have and ignore you in future.

This is the end of the discussion here for me.

--
Steve McIntyre                                          93sam@debian.org
Debian Community Team                               community@debian.org