Re: disk going bad? or fuser related issues? . . .

On 10/4/19 10:45 AM, Albretch Mueller wrote:

  I use ntfs as a data transfer file system between Mac OS, *nix and
Windows (I code primarily in java). Even though while using that
partition through fuser it is noticeable slower, afaik, it is the only
viable option there is.

  Lately I have been noticing the NTFS partition being slower than
usual: telling me I am not allowed to open that partition and/or the
OS doing it itself but taking its time (like 5 seconds). The other
partitions mount just fine, so it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue.

  Is that disk partition somehow going bad or there might be something
else going on?

  Also, the disk seems to be somewhat noiser now or I am not sure if I
have started noticing it to be so because it is failing.

The best thing to do is run some tests on the disk, like the long SMART test.

If you see lots of disk errors - there's a good chance you're having hardware or media issues, backup as quickly as you can and replace the drive.

Also just check the total hours-in-service against the rated life for your drive.

The thing to watch out for (learned the hardware):

- server-grade disks fail quickly, relying on RAID to take over

- commercial-grade disks, on the other hand, will keep trying to read a sector - trying as hard as they can to retrieve data - even if it takes 100s of attempts, and tens of seconds

It can be really confusing to find that one's machine is getting slower, and slower, and slower, for no apparent reason.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown