Re: Email based attack on University

On 2019-10-04, <tomas@tuxteam.de> <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> Well -- that thing I implicitly mentioned was EFAIL [1], which could
> leak a PGP encrypted content by crafting a broken MIME/HTML container
> around it. You could argue that the MIME parser is broken, but software
> tends to be broken in various and creative ways always.

You both might be happy to know that senior ANU staff have currently
switched their MUAs to Oberon Mail, the reasoning being that the use of
such a butt-ugly, obsolete, non-RFC compliant email client that hasn't
been maintained in twenty years would strain the credulity of even the
canniest Middle Kingdom black hat, who wouldn't think of targeting
an app that all except one man somewhere in the Rockies considers
defunct.

This ruse has come to be known, in a punning variation on the well-known
phrase, as "security by obtusity."

On a lighter note, an unofficial source at MIT, that vibrant locus of
human and artificial intelligence, has informed the /New York Times/
that Minsky et. al. believed Epstein named his plane the "Lolita
Express" as a sincere tribute to Russian emigre literature.

--
"There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign."
-- Robert Louis Stevenson