Re: Email based attack on University

On Thu, Oct 03, 2019 at 08:54:10PM +0100, Brian wrote:

[...]

> Opening an email causes no problem to the system on Debian. We would be
> in deep trouble if it did. Does that address your concern?

Woah. A sweeping assertion which would start making sense if you
tried to explain what "opening an email" means to you. Next step
would be to fix "no problem to the system" (does the disappearance
of all user files count?) and the step after that would be "on
Debian" (which MUA? Desktop environment, or just X cum WM or
console? Which set of installed programs? Is user in sudoers? Are
the last Spectre patches in? And so on).

Yes, "our" security story is way better than theirs, and this is
partly based on technical reasons, partly on social reasons and
partly on practical reasons. But feeling smug about it is a
vulnerability in itself :-)

Cheers
-- tomás