Re: Email based attack on University

On 02/10/2019 18.47, Carl Fink wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 02, 2019 at 05:55:32PM +0200, ??tienne Mollier wrote:
>
>> I don't believe MP3 allows executable code by specifications
>> either, so shouldn't the PNG image format.  But think of DSA
>> 4435 which affected libpng earlier this year.  When the OS
>> library for handling multimedia has flaws, if an HTML email
>> embeds a specifically crafted PNG image inlined in the content,
>> then you wouldn't even have to hit the ???preview??? button to be
>> screwed:
> That would logically apply to ASCII text as well.
Indeed,

Injection of control codes in a plain text email, if those are
improperly escaped along the way, may mangle the terminal of the
unsuspecting user.  ;)

That takes a lot of "if"s though...
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>
Fingerprint:  5ab1 4edf 63bb ccff 8b54  2fa9 59da 56fe fff3 882d