Re: usr merge apparently breaks amanda

On Friday 06 September 2019 11:58:15 Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 06, 2019 at 05:52:15PM +0200, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> >
> > Why would that break ? Old paths are still valid, this is the
> > purpose of the symlinks.
> >
> > Before usr merge :
> > /bin/rm -> ok
> > /usr/bin/rm -> ko
> >
> > After usr merge :
> > /bin/rm -> ok
> > /usr/bin/rm -> ok
>
> I was too hasty in writing my example.  An actual example of something
> that fails is a hard-coded /usr/bin/ command in a buster package,
> assuming that usrmerge will be performed -- and it fails on systems
> that did *not* perform it.
>
> Nevertheless, if Gene were to present a logfile error with a pathname
> and a "no such file or directory" message, or "command not found", or
> something similar, that could be an indicator to look at usrmerge.
>
> > Unless something is unable to follow symlinks.
> >
> > > FAILURE DUMP SUMMARY:
> > >    picnc / lev 0  FAILED [data timeout]
> > >    picnc / lev 0  FAILED [[request failed: No route to host]]
> > >    picnc / lev 0  FAILED [dumper TRYAGAIN: [request failed: No
> > > route to host]]
> >
> > This is a network error (ARP or NDP address resolution failure). I
> > wonder what it has to do with usr merge.
>
> Agreed.

No such errors are logged by amanda's own tools on that machine. I just
spent over an hour reading thru them after grep failed to find an error
or or fail in the lot of them.

ip a output looks normal after a reboot. But its offline as soon as
amanda starts.  Firewall rule?  I haven't run iptables on any of these
machines since forever but with systemd taking over, I've no clue how to
disable it if it is running.  htop see's nothing that looks like
iptables, has it been renamed?

Thanks

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)