Re: Is it possible to install Debian in such a case.

On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 08:14:42 +0200
deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> > There was a period a decade back where the capacitors
> > were legendarily bad.  Your unit may have some of them in it.
>
> It was around 2004. From a trustful source I understood that the
> Chinese manage to steal the formula from Japan, but translated few
> things wrongly and the world was flooded with bad caps. In the
> company I was in back then, PC caught often even fire. We had to
> mitigate the risk or just replace the PC with more reliable once.
> This was a good story.

It was a Japanese problem in the 1990s. This type of capacitor was much
smaller than previous types, so it was an obvious choice to use them
everywhere. There was a surveillance camera that used over 100 of them.

The problem was that they had various temperature ratings. Most had a
life of 1000 or 2000 hours at their maximum temperature, which isn't
very long when run continuously. This life roughly doubled for a 10
degree decrease in temperature. So when they ran cool, or in
intermittently-used equipment, they were no trouble. But eighty degree
capacitors running at fifty degrees might last around 10000 hours,
which is about a year in continuous use.

The unfortunate thing was that this type of capacitor failed in a way
that previous types did not: it leaked electrolyte. This reduced the
capacity and eventually caused many faults, which were worse when the
equipment was cold. And the electrolyte dissolved copper, so a leaking
capacitor would destroy the printed circuit tracks nearby...

--
Joe