Re: Is it possible to install Debian in such a case.

On Thu 27 Jun 2019 at 18:44:59 (+0300), Reco wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 10:24:51AM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > That has led to finding these lines in systemd's journal:
> > Jun 27 09:47:06 west systemd-backlight[615]: Failed to write system 'brightness' attribute: Input/output error
> > which suggests there's something wrong with the backlight.
>
> Hardly. More likely there's something wrong with the appropriate kernel
> facility.

I'm afraid that's unlikely, based on the evidence that you snipped:

    > On Fri 10 May 2019 at 13:20:39 -0500, David Wright wrote:
    > > My interest in this stems from a Laptop on which you are blind until
    > > the kernel loads (ie text pours down the screen). No boot selection
    > > menu, no CMOS screens, no Grub screens.
              ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

When the laptop is being powered up regularly, the display works for
about as long as the progress bar on the DELL screen takes to cross
from side to side: I would estimate it's about one second. The problem
came on gradually in Jan 2017. During use, the screen would flicker
a little, then die.

So my strategy was (1) set the CMOS to boot USB/optical/hard drive in
that order. I did that a year ago, after it had been powered off for
a week. (2) Leave a stretch installation USB stick by it, ready for
whenever I got a chance to use it. (3) Go on holiday. When I got
back, I had a long enough period with a display showing to get to:

  ┌────────────────┤ [!!] Continue installation remotely using SSH ├────────────────┐
  │                                                                                 │
  │                                    Start SSH                                    │
  │ To continue the installation, please use an SSH client to connect to the IP     │
  │ address 192.168.1.xxx fe80::xxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx and log in as the "installer"    │
  │ user. For example:                                                              │
  │                                                                                 │
  │    ssh installer@192.168.1.xxx                                                  │
  │                                                                                 │
  │ The fingerprint of this SSH server's host key is:                               │
  │                                                                                 │
  │ SHA256:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                              │
  │                                                                                 │
  │ Please check this carefully against the fingerprint reported by your SSH client.│
  │                                                                                 │
  │                                  <Continue>                                     │
  │                                                                                 │
  └─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

at which point I'm home and dry.

> Basically what this systemd unit tries to do is to write a saved value
> to /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness.
> Kernel responds to this with EIO, which is unusual for the laptop (to be
> expected for the desktop as there's no backlight there).
>
> It may be possible to workaround this with certain knobs of i915 kernel
> module (enable_dpcd_backlight or invert_brightness), I'd try the latter
> first.
> I.e. try adding "i915.invert_brightness=1" or
> "i915.enable_dpcd_backlight=1" to the kernel's commandline.

Yes, I've also looked at the values from /sys/…/*backlight/… and they
all behave sensibly. But the screen flickers a little, then goes out.
That's why I think it might be something like a capacitor charging up.
Over a period of weeks, it could discharge back to behaving normally.

But I'm not looking for a fix to the problem, just workarounds to make
it possible to do things like install, that require the early screens
which the external monitor won't display.

Cheers,
David.