Re: IPv4 v IPv6

On Sat 22 Jun 2019 at 20:45:59 (+1200), Richard Hector wrote:
> On 22/06/19 3:01 PM, David Wright wrote:

> >> If you never try setting it up, when do you expect to understand it? And
> >> I see IPv6 on my side of the modem; I suspect many others do too. I
> >> expect you'll get it sooner or later.
> >
> > What's more relevant to me is not when IPv6 is made availble to me, but
> > when IPv4 is withdrawn. Until then, I have IPv6 disabled in the router.
>
> Hmm. Waiting till IPv4 is turned off globally is way too long.

That's not quite the same thing; I'm not waiting for the last person
to turn off the lights. Personally, I'm not bother with running two
stacks on the network if I can avoid it. In my case, the withdrawal
that's critical is that of Roku, because we have three devices here.
(The Samsung "smart" TV is unimportant—I don't recall when we last
used its "tuner" section.)

> You want
> to be ready for the first IPv6-only site that you want to communicate
> with, or which wants to communicate with you. It may be very soon, or
> possibly have already happened - I don't know if people trying to send
> me mail have failed due to my mail server not yet supporting IPv6.

My (external) mail server can handle both, as can my ISP. So any
problems would be beyond my reach.

> If
> you're exclusively doing client-side stuff, then I guess at least you'll
> be the first to know when something doesn't work :-) Is that when you
> want to be turning it on and figuring out any issues?

I am, and obviously that would depend on what I'm being deprived of.
I can't speak for Gene.

> > It really comes down to the cost/benefit ratio. Currently the benefit
> > is almost zero, so any cost makes the ratio almost infinite.
> >
> > Lastly, what do you understand by the word "understand"? I wouldn't
> > claim to understand much of IPv4 as I've no need to. Judging by your
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2019/06/msg00554.html
> > you're doing far more sophisticated things than I ever expect to do.
> > I trust that by the time I might need IPv4, there'll be plenty of
> > HOWTOs floating around for simple setups.
>
> Fair enough. Maybe :-)
>
> I don't claim to understand all of either IPv4 or IPv6 either. And most
> of my learning has been due to some requirement. But it's been a long
> time since I deliberately turned IPv6 off (IIRC); if something doesn't
> work, that's something to learn about, not to disable, if I can help it.

Nothing doesn't work, so I'm currently sticking to the principle
"Never touch a running system," and waiting for perceptible effects.

Cheers,
David.