Re: Reading pdf files

On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 18:37:54 -0500
David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat 22 Jun 2019 at 22:31:48 (-0400), Celejar wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 Jun 2019 20:53:52 -0500 David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> > > But what eliminates it for me as a general viewer is the lack of key-
> > > binding configuration file. Quoting Archwiki,
> > >   "Navigation within a document works with standard keyboard shortcuts
> > >    and mouse interaction. For example, B and Space scroll up and down."
> > > they don't look like standard bindings to me. Or is there some
> > > external DE configuration that's handling all this for DE-users?
> >
> > My understanding is that the key bindings are generally vi-like, e.g.,
> > hjkl pan left, down, up, and right. You can also use the more intuitive
> > key bindings that work in vi (at least in Vim, as per the standard
> > (Debian?) configuration: PgUp, PgDn, and the cursor arrow keys do pretty
> > much what you'd expect.
>
> On the contrary, that's where I have problems. Compare if you will

You're right; I agree that mupdf can be confusing and frustrating this
way. I just meant that the bindings are pretty standard - it's the
implementation of mupdf's elementary operations that are perhaps
questionable.

> But the PNG/JPG modes of mupdf introduce a new set of navigation problems.
> PgDn, PgUp, Left and Right do nothing. Down and Up do the same as j and k,
> and the problem is as described above: the panning increment is far too
> large. AFAICT it's dividing the images into 11 "virtual pages" and so
> you only ever see the top of these 11 chunks.

Sorry, I only use mupdf for pdfs, so I have no experience with its
PNG/JPG mode.

Celejar