Re: Reading pdf files

On Fri, 21 Jun 2019 20:53:52 -0500
David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> But what eliminates it for me as a general viewer is the lack of key-
> binding configuration file. Quoting Archwiki,
>   "Navigation within a document works with standard keyboard shortcuts
>    and mouse interaction. For example, B and Space scroll up and down."
> they don't look like standard bindings to me. Or is there some
> external DE configuration that's handling all this for DE-users?

My understanding is that the key bindings are generally vi-like, e.g.,
hjkl pan left, down, up, and right. You can also use the more intuitive
key bindings that work in vi (at least in Vim, as per the standard
(Debian?) configuration: PgUp, PgDn, and the cursor arrow keys do pretty
much what you'd expect.

> One place mupdf scores is viewing very very tall PNGs and JPGs.¹
> However, it's let down by the fact that scrolling must be done using
> the mouse: the keyboard shortcuts move the image much too far.
> It appears to segment (virtually) the image into still very tall
> "pages" which are larger than the area being displayed. So I prefer
> to use xzgv for this task.

Are you using the panning or page up/down keys? I find the panning keys
to be pretty useful in viewing tall documents, although the fact that
they'll turn to the next page when you're already at the bottom of a
page (instead of just doing nothing) can be annoying.

Celejar