Off-topic: Action [Was: Re: Off topic: remaja (teens)

On 22.06.19 12:23, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> deloptes wrote:
> > Please stop!
>
> You know what happens if you try to issue commands here, do you ?
>

> > BTW you are also a carbon dioxide producer ;-)
>
> Voluntarily i'm only part of the athmospheric carbon cycle, not of the
> unearthing of carbon for oxidation. I'm doing my best to reduce the
> profits which carbon diggers can make from me.

Sitting here, in the down under winter, heating with carbon-neutral biomass
as I've done for the last 30 years, doing paperwork to progress my
off-grid 100% solar and biomass (i.e. stored solar) powered rural build,
I'd suggest that moving at least 2m above current sea level before the
end of the century, is not wasted effort.

> But i am not a teenager any more. So i am glad to see how well they are
> doing their job of annoying us in a constructive way.

Not all old folk are slow learners. I'm 65, and am accelerating the
action I've been taking for over three decades. What we're seeing
socially is the late adopters finally catching on. (Including bankers
and insurers, showing the problem is not imminent - it is here now.)

With Chennai running out of water now, and the Himalayas losing 1% of
snow mass yearly (28% already gone), the CIA's projection of water wars
by 2030 is optimistic, I expect. Here, in southern Australia, our farm
is destocked, because the last dam, dug in a watercourse, deepened to 6
metres, has run dry. Neighbours dams have been dry for a year. Never
before has there been no water at all.

The national (arguably vanity) rice crop over the last three years is:
807,000 ; 635,000 ; 52,000 tonnes. Hay prices have tripled, despite a
steady high stock slaughter rate. Usually one of the world's largest
wheat exporters, we are now importing increasing quantities to try to
keep core breeding stock alive.

The extra 1 billion human mouths to feed every 12 years puts increasing
strain on decreasing food supply reliability. Loss of farmland to
suburbia is compounding the problem, also due to water use.

Feedback effects are small snowballs yet, but measurably growing:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190612-the-poisons-released-by-melting-arctic-ice

We're slow to the party down here, but even we can pick up our game:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-14/australias-largest-solar-and-battery-farm-opens-in-kerang/11209666

Let's all act before "Children as young as 10 were being sent to fetch
water a train ride away, hauling back containers of water almost as big
as they were." becomes symptomatic of the next generation's fate:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-22/chennais-telling-the-globe-a-story-about-water-scarcity/11229084

Erik