Re: big-cursor DOA in Stretch

On 6/19/19, Bob Bernstein <poobah@ruptured-duck.com> wrote:
> This package has been one of the few casualties in my Jessie to
> Stretch upgrade. Joey's notes for it are here:
>
> /usr/share/doc/big-cursor/README.Debian
>
> ...and per Joey I have rem'd out the offending line in
> /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources:
>
> #Xcursor.theme: whiteglass
>
> Yes, as luck would have it, when I decided why fight city hall
> just to get X running, I chose xdm cuz I felt I would be
> consuming less Koolaid that way.
>
> I don't want to resort to whining, but my eyes after all these
> years don't work so good. Hence the big-cursor.

DISCLAIMER: My experience is within Xfce4 environment. My cursors are
changed via "Application (menu) > Settings > Mouse and Touchpad >
Theme (tab)".

That said, I just the other day installed some extra cursor packages
for the first time in several years. Was just bored.

One of the packages was called "xcursor-themes". It has a red and
white glass option that just resized from small handheld device size
to 48. It's pretty big.

This is the first time I've ever understood why they're called
"glass", too. You can SEE through them. That's handy, especially when
they're sized all the way up. :)

My CHOICE right now has been been "original green" from the
"comixcursors-righthanded-opaque" package. I'm getting a "Mickey
Mouse/The Mask" vibe from it. Comix has 3 sibling packages that cover
lefthanded and righthanded. And now I see that the "opaque" package
designation is because the other ones have the glass-like effect, too.

Also downloaded "DMZ" (dmz-cursor-theme) purely because it popped up
in a search. Its description says "scalable". By golly, it is. It also
responded to being resized.

And just noticed I apparently also installed "crystalcursors". They're
responding to being resized, too. The effect is just not quite as
dramatic as it was with e.g. xcursor-themes' red glass.

Ah, the comix line resizes, also. The difference is even less dramatic
than for crystalcursors, but there *IS* a difference. I'm leaving them
bigger. Makes them even more FUN that way. :)

Lastly, I just also saw "chameleon-cursor-theme". It's described as
modern but not gaudy X11 cursors. They're not scalable, but they do
have 3 "hardwired" size options (small, regular, and large).

No offense to their creators, but I'm having to work through how much
some of their larger ones resemble "flat flies" from my wildlife
rehabilitation days.. Their largest option is just about the right
size, too. Just.... *shudder!* every time I try to use them. LOL! I
keep trying them because the main pointer one has a neat kind of
"spaceship/paper airplane" shape thing going on.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed *