Re: Reading pdf files

On 2019-06-15 12:43 p.m., Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
Quoting Gary Dale (2019-06-15 17:46:50)
Quoting Gary Dale (2019-06-15 16:31:28)
On 2019-06-15 3:39 a.m., Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
A reason to avoid Okular is its memory and disk size when used in
an otherwise non-KDE environment.

Far better than (e.g. virtualized) Windows with Adobe Reader,
though :-)
However few people do completely without KDE or GTK programs these
days,
It is rare to avoid *both* KDE and GTK but common to avoid *either*.
No. While there are a lot of people who don't use Gnome or Plasma 5,
it's virtually impossible to run a desktop system with no applications
using either toolkit in at least some applications.
We agree it is uncommon to use both (you go further and claim it is even
common to use neither), and we agree it is common to use either one or
the other (you go further and claim it is extremely common). :-)

There is a difference between "a lot of people" and common. Gnome and KDE/Plasma 5 are common, Cinnamon is widely used. A lot of people use XFCE or LXDE.

Gnome and Plasma are common because they run just fine on 90% of the hardware out there. Cinnamon doesn't use either but is still based on GTK, as is Mate. There are a lot of desktops but most of them are built on either Qt or GTK.