Re: web page problem

On Friday 14 June 2019 09:04:50 am Joe wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 14:58:05 +0200
>
> <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > So change the ownership/permissions on the content.  To serve it
> > > up from a web server, you need to make it world-readable.  This
> > > means that directories require the x bit, and files require the r
> > > bit, for the "other" (right-most characters in ls -l output, least
> > > significant bits in the octal mode).
> >
> > Perhaps group readable (074x, x being usually 0) and setting the
> > file's group would suffice?
> >
> > That's my standard setup: the files belong to a "www admin" (can be
> > a regular user, can be root) and have the group www-data. So the web
> > server hasn't (usually) write access to normal htmls and cgi-bins
> > (oh, for the last, execute access for the group is necessary, so
> > 075x.
> >
> > Better safe than...
>
> Even safer, post/run it on someone else's web server. Web space is no
> longer given away free by (most) ISPs, but a small amount can be had
> for 'hobby' money now.

The pro and cons are in favor of doing it myself just for the total
control. The only sufferer is the one that wants to download my work as
the uplink speed is noticeably slower. But he still gets it for only his
bandwidth/time cost.  But because most ISP's think we are dumber than
rocks, they block incoming port 80.  But I am also a fan of the Hitachi
6309, a cmos and smarter clone of the moto 6809, but with fringies
thrown in, hence the tongue-in-cheek use of port 6309 to run my web
server on.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis