logging for complicated setups, (was: What is agetty, and why can't it be stopped?)

I'd have to disagree with this Gene.  There is quite a lot of information
in /var/log that might be a good idea to keep private on a multiuser
system, which gnu/linux does a good job at (from what I read, I have never
been admin on one) and on a single user system, it's plain easy to either
get to these logs as root, or arrange to have your user able to access
them.

Now I am not a 20+ yr user like you, but I do agree it is more difficult
to understand logs than it was when I was a baby.  I'm younger than you,
but going to be as old as you, so let me know if you find any good
solution to how much info of what type should be logged, and how to find
things that are logged?

>From what I understand and have practiced, it's better to log more, use
tools to filter/sort more efficiently.

Thanks,