Re: What is agetty, and why can't it be stopped?

On 09.06.19 19:11, Brian wrote:
> On Mon 10 Jun 2019 at 00:52:21 +1000, Erik Christiansen wrote:
>

> > On 09.06.19 06:59, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > And what do we call that Erik, thats much bigger than a normal foop, a
> > > megafoop maybe?  Good grief, Charley Brown.  And we're stuck with it. :(
> >
> > Well now, there are folks who have observed that not all progress is
> > forward, .....
>
> Indeed there are; their promotion of "backward progress" mangles the
> English language and brings into doubt any subsequent argument being
> promoted. Are these the same people who observe "forward regression"
> in some processes?

No, that's just your lack of understanding being expressed by you. Many
of the nuances of the meaning of "progress" may be found in:

 1. To make progress; to move forward in space; to continue
  onward in course; to proceed; to advance; to go on; as,
   railroads are progressing. "As his recovery progressed."
    --Thackeray.

Please think on the following example. A party might progress (continue
onward in course) deeper into a swamp, the mire might progress (advance)
up the sides of their boots, and their progress (procession) may grow
progressively slower and more laboured. Does this progress (advance)
their goals?

Once you apply your mind to it, I'm sure that you can understand these
nuances of the English language. (If English is not your first language,
then your uninformative overly opinionated interruption is excused. ;)

> Incidentally, the OP has no intention of changing the init system he
> is using. He has enough problems on his plate already.

How fortunate Gene is to have you to tell him what he wants. Perhaps
you'll also tell him to be grateful for your decisionmaking on his
behalf?

Incidentally, I thank you for leaving the task of providing informative
contributions, outlining real-world options, to the helpfully inclined.
It'll save confusion.

Erik