Re: UEFI beginner questions

On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 22:46:02 -0400
tuulen <tuulen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am an ordinary GUI and mouse computer user, not a command line
> user.  But I want to get away from both Apple and Microsoft.  I spent
> a lot of time looking into Linux, Unix, BSD, and eventually I
> discovered Debian.  And because I like to know the details of what I
> am doing I also discovered that I just naturally like Debian, too, as
> Debian is built upon explanations, fine with me!
>
> I was in the process of partitioning my hard drive to install Debian
> when I encountered a couple of UEFI complications.  My HP Laptop with
> Windows 10 does not offer a way to disable the "secure boot" feature
> of UEFI, so that makes Debian off limits.  Then I went to the HP
> website but almost all of the available HP desktops and laptops have
> Windows 10, with presumably the same useless UEFI that I now have,
> and I did not see any Linux-compatible HP computers as available.

I bought an Acer netbook about eight months ago, with Win10 installed.
It is UEFI only, no legacy boot. The standard Debian stable netinstall
image booted fine, and installed a dual boot system alongside Win10. The
current Debian stable can use UEFI. I saw no reference to secure boot,
though I've no doubt it will be enforced in another year or two.

--
Joe