Re: What is agetty, and why can't it be stopped?

On Friday 07 June 2019 03:28:57 pm Jonathan Dowland wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 07, 2019 at 11:48:17AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >Neither can I and this "service" is not a familiar term since this is
> > my first expedition into systemd territory.
>
> Try the systemd.service manual page to find out more.
>
> >Drivewire was written in Java, and changes in Java from wheezy to
> > stretch have killed that, but a replacement is being written in
> > python in hopes it might be a more stable language. We as a group,
> > had no clue that Java would be changed to be so damned incompatible
> > with itself.
>
> This is quite an aside, but I was interested in this problem. Wheezy
> was released in 2013, and Stretch in 2017, 4 years later. I'm finding
> it hard to answer what version of Java was in Wheezy, due to its age,
> but I think it's OpenJDK 7.  Stretch has OpenJDK 8, one major version
> further on. There are no doubt compatibility problems between 7 and 8,
> but relatively few (and certainly a lot fewer than 8 → 11).
>
> Java's compatibility story is — relative to most comparable languages
> — very good. I regularly run a Java program originally written 20
> years ago. If you're going with Python make sure you start with Python
> 3, not 2.
>
> >I can likely go with the flow as long as its documented in readily
> >accessable form, something that L.P. is good at, he writes nice
> > "papers" on his stuff but hides that info from the unwashed by not
> > putting out decent man-pages.
>
> I'm surprised you think that, because I find the systemd man-pages to
> be excellent. Have you read them or is this hearsay?

But first you need to know the name of the man page. You can't read it if
you don't know its true name...

> > I disagree loudly about that but the exclusion of
> >examples from manpages seems like an insidious attack on the users
> >intelligence.
>
> …I'd guess hearsay because they have plenty of examples. A quick check
> shows EXAMPLES sections in at least systemd.unit(5) and
> systemd.target(5).

That's a sample of two, how many manpages has systemd spawned by now?

> >I give you the present state of the docs for ip as an
> >example of how NOT to do a man page.
>
> Much like the tool, I find it terrible. And not comparable to
> systemd's man-pages at all. I quite look forward to whatever replaces
> "ip" (sooner rather than later)

it can't happen fast enough for me, as theres a possibility I might not
last long enough to see it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)