Re: What is agetty, and why can't it be stopped?

>On Thursday 06 June 2019 08:37:36 am bw wrote:

>> <snip>
>>
>> >So what I'd like for it to do, is be totally silent during the rest
>> > of this machines boot, and once a user, me, is logged in, go away
>> > just as silently, freeing the only serial hardware port for my own
>> > use.

>> I think the first place I'd look is:
>>
>> man logind.conf
>>
>> there may be something there to help you figure it out.  Then look
>> into override if necessary with something like:
>>
>> systemctl edit getty@.service
>
>Might be, but the dead keyboard hit it 30 minutes back so I rebooted and
>now its normal.  I need a near beer.
>
>Cheers, Gene Heskett
>--
>"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
>Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>

You have a definite style Gene, and a tenaciousness that I really admire.
I'm assuming after all this time you are doing some work and have a
functioning system going, congratulations.

For future reference, you can prevent any systemd service from starting by
putting a link to /dev/null in /etc/systemd/system AFAIK that is exactly
what 'systemctl mask' does, but the benefit from using systemctl is it
also checks your spelling.

I don't think all the 6 getty@ services are started at boot like with
inittab, the particualt getty appears after the VT is activated.  You can
mask one or override it as you want with systemctl edit getty@ttyWHATEVER
and this is pretty cool.  You could setup things to do whatever when any
particular VT is activated.

good luck
bw