Re: Replacing Pulseaudio with Alsa alone

On 2019-06-04 at 23:47, Joe Dennigan wrote:
Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> writes:

Kaj Persson wrote:
I am running Debian 9 Stretch. After the OS install the Pulseaudio is by
default the standard audio system with Alsa as the executor. Which is the
best strategy to remove Pulseaudio and instead letting Alsa be the one and
only audio system? Are there any serious disadvantages doing so?
There is one serious disadvantage: Firefox doesn't support audio
in any other way except PulseAudio.

If you don't care about that, then you can certainly play music,
record audio, and otherwise do normal audio-related things
through ALSA.
I got shot of PulseAudio more than a year ago because of serious sound
latency issues (700-1200+ms in VirtualBox/WinXP for some old games I
love).  Using plain ALSA fixed that.

I had already switched to Palemoon as a browser (other problems with
Firefox - not audio relevant) at that point, and now also use Waterfox,
and have not missed PulseAudio or Firefox at all.  As I type this, I am
listening to Saint-Saëns Symphony No 3 on YouTube using Waterfox with no
problems whatsoever.

I don't know of any other desktop applications that actually need
PulseAudio and can't think of any disadvantage(s) to removing it.

Regards,

Joe Dennigan

Thank you for all answers and advices. A silly question, perhaps: Do I need take any special steps for the transform, or is just e.g.

       apt-get --autoremove remove pulseaudio

sufficient, and the system automaticly adapts to the new situation?

/Kaj