Re: tea4cups=printer screwup

On Wednesday 05 June 2019 03:10:37 pm Brian wrote:

> On Wed 05 Jun 2019 at 13:41:48 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I just removed tea4cups, totally.  Why? It totally screws up a print
> > job.
>
> It's liable to do that when the user is clueless.

Maybe so.  But why doesn't it query the printer for its abilities instead
of defaulting to the lowest common denominator settings which are
apparently not adjustable?

> > First, it prevents the use of a printers duplex ability, thereby
> > doubling the use of paper.
>
> The second claim cannot be countered; the first claim is completely
> baseless.

Then give us a configuration utility that works when I tell geany to
print something. I have 3 different configs for that printer, one for
single sided photo on glossy paper from tray 1, one for duplex on copy
paper from tray 2, and one for hand fed 11x17 paper.  Yes, this
MFC-J6920-DW is a bigger than your average bear printer.  And after 3
years of living with it I do know how to run it.

> > Second, it spits out the single sided job it does print, face up so
> > the stack requires a hand sort to put page 1 on top of the stack.
> > Sheesh.
>
> It, and the printing system, is probably doing what it is being told
> to do.
>
> > Surely the printer folks can do better than that. So its gone.
> > Nuked. Removed. Deleted.
>
> For the benefit of -user readers who might stick with this thread,
> note that the installation of cups-tea4cups is the choice of a user.

Yes it is, the usage blurb sounded good as I read it in synaptic, but
thats not the results I obtained.

> On being installed it does nothing and requires configuration. We do
> not have a glimmer of what it is being used for and what was put in
> tea4cups.conf.
>
> A ranting and raving approach to life could get you dinner with the
> UK's Queen, but it doesn't work here and tea and buns are not on
> offer.

Your choice. I can't afford the tickets to get there anyway.  If it has
to be configured before use, where is the help to guide one to do it
correctly? I didn't really search for it, but it wasn't obvious either.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)