Re: Replacing Pulseaudio with Alsa alone

Hi,

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 22:51:31 +0300
Georgi Naplatanov <gosho@oles.biz> wrote:

> On 6/4/19 10:24 PM, Kaj Persson wrote:
> > I am running Debian 9 Stretch. After the OS install the Pulseaudio is
> > by default the standard audio system with Alsa as the executor. Which
> > is the best strategy to remove Pulseaudio and instead letting Alsa be
> > the one and only audio system?
>
> PulseAudio is some kind of mixer/proxy between ALSA and desktop
> applications. In modern GNU/Linux OSes it's discouraged to remove/not
> using PulseAudio.
>
> Are there any serious disadvantages doing so?
>
> If you don't use PulseAudio then only one application can use an ALSA
> device at the same time on your computer.

really? Here I can play back a video in firefox and play another video
from harddisk in vlc and the sound tracks are happily mixed by alsa (not
that it's an enjoyable experience, but it works :)

Regards

Michael

One does not thank logic.
		-- Sarek, "Journey to Babel", stardate 3842.4