Re: Can't install addons for firefox

On 5/6/19, Dave Sherohman <dave@sherohman.org> wrote:
> On Sun, May 05, 2019 at 07:29:55PM -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
>>
>> No, Mozilla really screwed up.
>
> Understatement of the month, if not the year.  And yet, on the Mozilla
> blog, all the comments are "oh, you're so awesome for working on a
> weekend to fix this!", completely ignoring that there wouldn't have been
> a problem to "heroically" work all weekend to solve if they'd just done
> things right (staying on top of cert expirations, not trying to funnel
> everything through a single point of failure, etc.) in the first place.

Is it just me, or does anyone else see the real screw up as mozilla
not allowing users to override their decisions -- in this case, about
an addon being "safe"?

I like that mozilla can disable addons they find out are doing 'bad'
things (whatever 'bad' means).  I also like the fail safe aspect where
if they can't verify an addon it defaults to 'bad'.  What I don't
like, and what I think turned a minor issue into a very visible and
embarrassing problem, is not being able to over-ride their decision.

Lee