Re: systemdq

On Sat, 28 Dec 2019 14:15:36 -0700
ghe <ghe@slsware.net> wrote:

> >>Have you tried commands of this sort?
>
> # systemctl enable sshd.service
> # systemctl start sshd.service
> # systemctl status sshd.service
>
> >From asking it to start at boot:
>
> Failed to save action : Systemd service ssh cannot be created unless a
> command is given
>

> Trying the suggested commands:
>
> Failed to enable unit: Unit file sshd.service does not exist.
>
> Failed to start sshd.service: Unit sshd.service not found.
>
> Unit sshd.service could not be found.

That seems pretty unambiguous to me. You don't have the file
sshd.service where systemd can find it.

> > Have you tried removing openssh-server package and reinstalling it?
> > If you re using any version of Debian the default
> > installation comes with sane defaults and it leaves the service
> > enabled and running.
>
> Reinstalling (from an RPi mirror) did nothing. Trying to get it
> started at boot gave the same error message as before.

Debian (not rasbian) seems to put sshd into place at installation time.

charles@hawk:~$ locate sshd.service
/etc/systemd/system/sshd.service
/var/lib/systemd/deb-systemd-helper-enabled/sshd.service
charles@hawk:~$

The second one has to be there. The first is optional and overrides the
second.

Oddly enough, the sshd package does not provide sshd.service as a file
at all, but may create it as part of the installation process. It does
provide ssh.service. This leads me to wonder if something is not right
with the rasbian package.

Do you have both the server and the client installed? On Debian, you
need openssh-client and openssh-server.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com