Re: systemdq

On Saturday 28 December 2019 12:47:16 Curt wrote:

> On 2019-12-28, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Another hopefully good suggestion. Thanks, and I'll try it.

> >> Raspian Buster.
> >
> > One problem, raspian buster is armhf, debian is arm64.
>
> I was going to say--but didn't!--that the OP had merely provided a
> bunch of prose ("try to set" etc.) and no genuine technical detail
> (viz. a cut-and-paste of input/output from a terminal session) in his
> problem presentation, so that even Carnac the Magnificent in his prime
> would fail to divine where the error might lie. Then he revealed
> (because the whole process should be like pulling teeth--if they don't
> fall out "naturally," if haphazardly, that is) he was using Raspian
> rather than Debian, and I thought it was the addition of insult to
> injury.
>
> Maybe 'sshd -t' would disclose some snafu in the config (a stray "-"
> without an argument)?

Your guess is as good as mine, but I do know of a combination of the 2,
is in one case an instant pi crasher, that of installing the armhf
version of the amanda client, on the debian buster arm64 install will
crash the whole maryann about 2 seconds after the server asks the client
for an estimate. And it does it without so much as a by-by in the logs.
That same client, installed on a raspian (armhf) install has been
running flawlessly for a couple weeks now.

Maybe not, but all the clues point to the debian repo's identical version
of the amanda client not haveing been rebuilt with arm64 flags set when
debian changed the architecture of the rpi4 to arm64 from armhf with the
buster release.  This lets the debian-arm boot useing grub! debian-arm
ran just as stably for me until I tried to add it to my backup here.

Once I discovered debian-arm was now an arm64 build, I switched back to
the raspbian build because its smaller armhf stack frame=reduced
latency, so I stepped up a few releases of the rt kernel, to make sure I
had the latest video drivers, built it and installed it, worked
reasonably well reporting glxgears at near 60 fps even when pulled to
full screen, so I dd a git clone of linuxcnc, pulled in the missing deps
as the make discovered them, and there was quite a list that
dpkg-chkbuilddeps did not find, but eventually it did build linuxcnc as
debs, I installed that and its running an 11x54 Sheldon lathe
flawlessly, with video fps's right close to 55.  The pi3 only manages
video fps's in the 1.5-2.5 range running build from the same code, so
that is a huge diff.

All this of course took place on an SSD plugged into one of the usb-3
ports of the rpi-4 once it was installed, no way was I going to subject
the boot u-sd to that abuse.

The only niggle in the linuxcnc operation now is a slight stutter in jog
motions from the keyboard arrow keys, which does NOT manifest itself
running gcode or MDI driven moves. I can live with that.

You can get that kernel, and the linuxcnc debs from my web site, add
lathe-stf to the link in the sig, you'll see a linuxcnc4rpi4 link, click
on that and you can dl it all, but my uplink is slow.  Poor boy net
connection. I can get gigabyte, for another $30 a month.

If you can't get to it, I have around 35 search bots blocked with
iptables useing /24 syntax. Let me know your net address and I'll make
sure your aren't blocked. Most of the bots didn't bother me, just
indexing my site, till I put that up, then they downloaded my whole site
repeatedly which was a DDOS because of my limited uplink bandwidth.

> > Cheers, Gene Heskett

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis