Re: INQUIRY

On Saturday 28 December 2019 13:39:54 Cindy Sue Causey wrote:

> On 12/28/19, darkskyz666@tutanota.de <darkskyz666@tutanota.de> wrote:
> > Hello Debian , I'm getting error while installing grub in Debian.
> > The error is "unable install grub in dummy"
> > My intention is to dual boot debian and windows.
>
> Hi... I did a couple quick searches just to see if anything popped. My
> first one using your words landed one result.. this thread.... The
> second fairly targeted search only pulled up ~570.
>
> What might help the list help you is to know something about your
> setup. Most specifically, it would help if they know the exact command
> you're using. Beyond that, maybe how your hard drive and partition(s)
> is/are set up.
>
> Without actually entering any webpages, I saw a couple references to
> users specifically requesting "grub-install dummy".. so that's why I
> ask. I've never heard of "dummy" for this. That only means that the
> most I've ever needed for my usage is "grub-install /dev/sda" (or
> /dev/sdb, etc). :)
>
> After thinking on it a few more seconds before sending this out, I
> tried this search:
>
> error "grub-install dummy"
>
> That landed something potentially useful from Kali's message boards:
>
> https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?35926-Executing-grub-install-du
>mmy-failed&s=d8cf37f9fee08ca29b2ec7aeda842ae0&p=77478#post77478
>
> If that doesn't jump down to the quote, Comment #40 sounds pretty
> interesting and rational. Am posting in case that also triggers any
> related do/do nots, too. Good luck... :)
>
> Cindy :)

Pasted from your sig Cindy.

* runs with... YET ANOTHER hardware failure. THIS TIME? LIGHTNING
STORM... ATE MY _NEW_ DIALUP MODEM less than 24 hours in. Wanders off
now singing... If it weren't for ba-a-a-ad luck, I'd have no luck at

Have an electrician inspect your service for proper grounding bringing it
up to code if not. I used to lose a modem everytime I heard thunder.

So as a CET I made sure all my static grounds were good back to the
service, finding this place was wired by an idiot who was never in a
same room with a copy of the NEC. Place was built in 74, before the NEC
became the law in most municipalities. Then in 2007 in prep for building
an attached garage, I installed a new 200 amp service and brought the
ground up to code, make this house a 60 amp subcircuit.

Lowes also sells a little tester you can plug into a duplex to verify
each sockets proper wiring, about a 15 or 20 dollar bill. Get one and
check them all.

And since you are on dialup, make sure the demarcation box where the
phone line enters the house is also well grounded, it has lightning
arresters in it. They are good ones, Ma Bell has spent 100+ years
developing them. There s/b a good sized solid wire, probably bare,
connecting one end of the arresters to a nearby ground rod.

HTH.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis