Re: Persistent Desktop Environment

Teemu Likonen composed on 2019-12-28 03:03 (UTC-0500):

> Henning Follmann wrote:

>> So is there a way to lock down firefox user interface? I want only
>> bookmarks visible and editable (add). But no accidental drags or
>> clicks to change the user interface. Is that possible?

> I don't know. With Firefox I would start by studying if the internal
> configuration options in about:config page can be edited with external
> tool. Such tool could set some values to the desired value when user's
> session starts.
If a file named user.js exists in the profile directory, Firefox reads it and
applies its settings on every startup. Firefox never writes to user.js.

In theory, once everything is configured as desired, prefs.js could be copied to
user.js. The problem with that is that prefs.js does not include every setting,
only those that differ from defaults. So, it would take a lot of effort to
determine from about:config those settings that would need to be reset at each
startup and manually insert them into user.js.

I've never looked, but I suppose one might be able to determine all possible
defaults, and there are far more than will ever show up in prefs.js, by examining
source. The same examinations would need to be done for any installed extensions
as well.

Note that there is one preference that is never part of prefs.js:
	the location of the profile.
That location is included in the file that inventories all existing profiles
	~/.mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini.
This enables profiles to be located anywhere that is writeable by the user.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/