Re: dpkg returned an error code 1

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 02:54:18PM -0400, Marco Shaw wrote:
> # apt-get install qmail
[...]
> Can not write log, openpty() failed (/dev/pts not mounted?)

Not reassuring.  Is this a real computer?  Or even a real virtual
machine?  If it's some kind of container, well... good luck with that.

> Upgrading from qmail version 1.03-38 is not yet supported.
> rmdir: failed to remove `/var/lib/qmail': Directory not empty

Sounds like you will need to clean up some stuff by hand.

I recommend that you make a backup of *everything*.  Then make a separate
backup of just the qmail configuration.  Then purge your existing
qmail* packages (use --force-depends to prevent it from screaming).
Then nuke the directories that it wants you to nuke, like the one shown
above.

Then install the new qmail* packages, and merge your old configuration
into the new configuration, manually.