dpkg returned an error code 1

(I'm not sure if I'm on the right track and whether the information below is everything.  I'm still researching and trying to figure out what to do.  There's no backup available.  I'm looking for any possible hints/logs/commands/etc.)

Debian Wheezy 7.x 32-bit (I know I should upgrade, but bear with me)

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I tried to upgrade a chroot'ed environment and it seems I broke dpkg in the process.

I don't know if the cause of the problems is that apt-get isn't able to handle a qmail upgrade or if it's something else (it seems snmpd also didn't "finish" during the last round).

I think the error I'm trying to address is:

I might have some of the information from the console when this first broke, but it seems I can reproduce as per below.

It seems I have a very old version of qmail, and upgrading to the one in my apt mirror is too much of a change. I've googled, and have not been able to find anything between 1.03-38 and 1.06-5 yet.

(Removed a few lines and struggled with the formatting)
# apt-get install qmail
  qmail-run qmail-uids-gids
Suggested packages:
  dot-forward qmail-tools
  qmail-run qmail-uids-gids
  qmail
1 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
107 not fully installed or removed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
Get:1 http://10.105.176.67/debian/ wheezy/main snmpd i386 5.4.3~dfsg-2.8+deb7u1 [964 kB]
Fetched 964 kB in 0s (6,685 kB/s)
Can not write log, openpty() failed (/dev/pts not mounted?)
(Reading database ... 1852018 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace qmail 1.03-38 (using .../archives/qmail_1.06-5_i386.deb) ...
Upgrading from qmail version 1.03-38 is not yet supported.
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/qmail_1.06-5_i386.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
rmdir: failed to remove `/var/lib/qmail': Directory not empty
insserv: warning: script 'K01qmail' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'qmail' missing LSB tags and overrides
dpkg: regarding .../qmail-uids-gids_1.06-5_all.deb containing qmail-uids-gids:
 qmail conflicts with qmail-uids-gids
  qmail-uids-gids (version 1.06-5) is to be installed.
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/qmail-uids-gids_1.06-5_all.deb (--unpack):
 conflicting packages - not installing qmail-uids-gids
dpkg: regarding .../qmail-run_2.0.2_all.deb containing qmail-run:
 qmail-run conflicts with mail-transport-agent
  qmail provides mail-transport-agent and is present and installed.