Re: Trouble booting a fresh built kernel--stuck on `loading initial ramdisk`

Tony Fischetti wrote:
> Any kernel I compile gets stuck on the "loading initial ramdisk"
> stage. It tried it multiple different ways and the result is always
> the same. Any advice on what I can do to find out what's going on,
> would be greatly appreciated
>
> More info: I'm using stable. The most recent attempt was basically as
> outlined in the most recent "Debian Administrator's Handbook".
> Concretely, installing linux-source (the one with the debian patches
> [4.19]), extracting it in another directory, using the kernel config
> from /boot/config-the-stock-kernel, make deb-pkg, and finally dpkg -i
> theheaders theimage
>
> I've tried a few other methods, too, like the method in the debian
> kernel handbook, etc...
>
> I don't think it's a problem with the initrd because I inspected it
> (zcat / cpio / etc) and its not missing any files present in the stock
> initrd that works
> Thanks!

  a few things i can suggest to look into.

  if the hardware is newer then the kernel via stable may not be
able to be supported via the compiler or some other reason.

  are you doing the update init ram fs step?

  have you updated firmware for the processor?

  songbird