Re: xdm config

On Sun, Dec 08, 2019 at 05:10:06PM -0500, Bob Bernstein wrote:
> Can xdm be cajoled into displaying "Reboot" and/or "Shutdown"
> buttons on its welcome screen?
>
> (By which odd choice of words I mean the principal screen presented
> by xdm at X start-up time, e.g. the one which queries the user for
> credentials.)

The xdm manual page seems to imply so:

Under the Resources section:

   DisplayManager.DISPLAY.setup
      This specifies a program which is run (as root) before offering
      the Login window.  This may be used to change the appearance of
      the screen around the Login window or to put up other windows
      (e.g., you may want to run xconsole here).  By default, no program
      is run.  The conventional name for a file used here is Xsetup.
      See the section Setup Program.

So you'd have to write some program displaying your buttons (perhaps
Tcl/Tk would be a good match here) and implementing your desired
functionality) and read the "Setup Program" section of xdm's man
page.

Note the detail that the program is run as root: perhaps you may want
to drop privileges early, to keep your box honest :-)

Cheers
-- t