Re: nftables is not accepting rules from ufw

The files exist. They'd been unmodified, and working, for several months. 'ufw reset' regenerates them with the defaults. Neither of them includes the word 'DROP', and I don't think their contents are passed directly to nftables. I'm not familiar with their syntax, so I can't say if there's anything wrong with them.

However, on another system that was similarly configured, I had the same versions of ufw and nftables installed, and ufw was working fine. However, there was an update to iptables, 1.8.4-1, and after that was updated, ufw stopped working.

apt-listchanges sent this:

iptables (1.8.4-1) unstable; urgency=medium

    All the iptables binaries have been moved away from /sbin to /usr/sbin.
    Compatibility symlinks were provided during the Buster release, but they
    have been dropped now.
    Please make sure your scripts aren't using hardcoded binary paths.
    .
    Also, please note that iptables is no longer Priority: important. This
    means it is not installed by default in every system. It has been replaced
    by nftables.

 -- Arturo Borrero Gonzalez<arturo@debian.org>   Wed,  04 Dec 2019 11:49:00 +0200

It looks to me like both in /sbin and in /usr/sbin, there are symlinks from the names of the old iptables executables to the nftables versions, via /etc/alternatives. So I'm not sure what was actually changed, but now I'm thinking that the iptables update revealed an issue with ufw.