Re: Can't login to Debian buster server after upgrade from stretch

On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 at 16:02, Joe Aquilina <joeaquilina@westnet.com.au> wrote:
> "David" <bouncingcats@gmail.com> Tue, 3 Dec 2019 15:13:42 +1100
> On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 at 14:36, Joe Aquilina <joeaquilina@westnet.com.au> wrote:

> > Upgraded a Debian stretch machine to buster yesterday morning. All seemed to go fine but I can no longer SSH in to that server. I get the following when I try to login:
> > packet_write_wait: Connection to <server_name> port 22: Broken pipe
> > I found some pages on the net that suggest using IPQoS=throughput and/or ServerAliveInterval and Server ActiveCountMax - none worked.
> > I have checked the .ssh directory and file permissions - they appear to be ok.
> > I have removed and reinstalled openssh - no change, still can't login.
> > I can ping the machine but can't login; however, I can ssh out from the server in question to other computers on the local network. Any suggestions as to what is wrong and how I fix this?

> Hi, have you seen this? ...
> https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#idm1263
> No I had not, and I am inexperienced enough that I don't fully understand what it is telling me, or how to apply any updates that may be required. As far as I know, the defaults are in use - I certainly have not made any changes as I don't know how to to do so, safely or otherwise.

It means that the configuration of the ssh client needs to be
compatible with the configuration of the server,
when they are negotiating how to communicate securely.

Where it says: "No action is required for configurations that accept
the default for these options.",
I assume that means where both client and server are running the same
Debian version with default
configuration at both ends.

On linux, the client is controlled by ~/.ssh/ssh_config and the server
by /etc/ssh/sshd_config files.
(note the letter d appears in only the server config file, the "d" is
for "daemon" ie server).

What is the operating system on the client machine?

You can get more debug information by adding -v options to the client
command line.
For example: ssh -v ...
And for more detail: ssh -vv ...

I offer this as "level-1 support" :) general information, I don't know
exactly what the
problem is, but if you cut and paste here the output of 'ssh -v ...'
then someone here
can give you better advice based on that.