Re: Debian Buster and NetworkManager

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 13:05:38 +0100
Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> wrote:

> Network Manager is an _alternative_ network management tool - which
> happens to be tightly integrated with several of the most popular
> _desktop_ systems offered by Debian, and therefore easily mistaken as
> replacing other tools.
>
> The _default network management tool continues to be ifupdown.
>
> Network Manager, and systemd-networkd, and other network managers, each
> integrate or coordinate (or back off) in the presence of ifupdown - to
> varying ways.
>

> > Can someone explain in which case NM is better vs interfaces speaking
> > of server and workstation with multiple bridge?
>
> The main benefit of Network Manager is its user-friendly interface.
>
> If you want efficient _programming_ of complex network setups, then you
> are likely better off using ifupdown or systemd-networkd.
>
> Not necessarily, only likely.  YMMV.  Debian offers choices here.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you write here, but I just want to
note that I was recently rather surprised to discover that (FWIW) the
official Debian Reference manual calls the systemd method the "modern
network configuration" method, and the ifupdown method the "legacy
network connection and configuration" method.

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html#_the_modern_network_configuration_without_gui

Celejar