Debian Buster and NetworkManager

Hi list,

I've recently upgraded my stretch to buster (fresh install).

I installed KDE and I tried to configure the network using NetworkManager (nmcli). On my workstation I have 2 bridges (br0 for lan vms and br1 for dmz on demand vms). br0 have a static address to permit navigation on my workstation and br1 does not have any address assigned. Using interfaces old method all work very well but using NM things are bad. I configured my net devices like this:

# nmcli connection delete enp0s31f6
# nmcli connection delete enp7s0
# nmcli device disconnect enp0s31f6
# nmcli device disconnect enp7s0

# nmcli connection add type bridge con-name br0 ifname br0
# nmcli connection add type bridge-slave con-name enp0s31f6 ifname enp0s31f6 master br0 # nmcli connection modify br0 ipv4.address x.x.x.x/16 ipv4.method manual ipv4.gateway x.x.x.x ipv4.dns x.x.x.x
# nmcli connection modify br0 ipv6.method ignore bridge.stp no
# nmcli connection add type bridge con-name br1 ifname br1
# nmcli connection add type bridge-slave con-name enp7s0 ifname enp7s0 master br1 # nmcli connection modify br1 ipv4.method disabled ipv6.method ignore bridge.stp no

# nmcli connection up enp0s31f6
# nmcli connection up enp7s0
# nmcli connection up br0
# nmcli connection up br1
# nmcli connection reload

With all these previous commands network is available. On a system reboot network is up.

On a notebook, desktop or workstation with simple ethernet/wifi connection this could be useful but on workstation with non classic configuration or on a server I could not see how NM complexity could give some benefit. I found interfaces method more readable, simpler to write, simpler to manage and more "ready to work".

NM is a replace of ifconfig,brctl,route command?

Can someone explain in which case NM is better vs interfaces speaking of server and workstation with multiple bridge?

Thanks in advance.