[OT] Email signature double dash delimiters (Was: KISS gpg)

On 10/31/19, Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 01, 2019 at 02:12:54AM +1100, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
>> If you kill all agents to stop them interfering, then use the
>> - --homedir option of gpg with a copy of your files, I think you will
>> have what you need.
>
> Huh.  There's that "dash space dash dash" pattern again, from a completely
> different person this time.
>
> Is the mailing list software mangling people's posts (lines that begin
> with dash dash get an extra dash space prepended), or is there some
> common mail user agent in the wild that's doing this?
>
> --testing

Maybe it's only certain ones? Yours and deloptes' aren't doing that.
For a split second, I wondered if it was somehow tied to how double
dashes are used with signatures. Nope because it didn't do it to at
least the two of you in this thread.

Well, I say "nope", but it might still be one or more email clients
taking it upon themselves to make sure content in an email's body
stays put.

Related to it, I thought I had read that those signature dashes need a
space behind them. Quick search agrees without visiting any webpages
(again). The related phrase I'm seeing is "signature delimiter" in at
least one reference.

CSS/HTML comments work similar. If the space is in the wrong place,
the entire comment appears on a webpage and/or blows the coding apart.

Maybe someone's just manually making sure the double dashes don't futz
with *any* email clients? Sounds like something that might come to
mind to me if I had thought hard on it at some point. It looks like
there's no problem if there's no space in between the double dashes
and whatever flag's being discussed.. :)

Am now...

--also-testing

--
With some useless rhetoric..

--
And then some more useless rhetoric.. just to see what it does if
there is more than one set of what the client would see as delimiters.

Cindy ;)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed *