Re: Bootable USB Buster System

I've been swamped for a few days:  Sorry it took me a while to get back to this Thread.

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 1:32 PM Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
On Sat 26 Oct 2019 at 12:33:52 -0400, Kenneth Parker wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What I want,  is almost there (put a Live Buster DVD on a USB Drive), but
> I'm hoping for more.
>
> I'd like to format my USB Drive into, at least three Partitions, preferably
> using msdos Partitioning (so it can Boot from older systems).  The
> Partitions are Root, Swap and Home.  So far, so good, I've done this
> before.
>
> What is different this time, is that I'd like to be able to Boot this from
> different Systems, probing their Network, Sound, Video, Keyboard and Mouse
> systems on Bootup, but leaving any Local Hard Drives alone.  Existing
> systems do this, for example, Knoppix, but it's doing a "Mini Install" each
> time.  I'd like to, only have the Hardware testing, but not the rest of the
> Install occurring.  Also, this allows me to have Static Data (i.e Logs),
> saved from System to System.  Sort of like a "Super Rescue System".

Would you please explain what you mean by "...leaving any Local Hard
Drives alone."?

For one thing, I don't want it to, for example, "notice" a Swap Partition on the Internal Hard Drive and try to use it.  In other words, sort of like a Live DVD, but with space to save data from the system, being rescued.

> Are you with me so far?  Have people done this?

I think I have so.

Thanks.  Now, let me look at some other responses.

Kenneth Parker