Re: question about network connections

On 10/26/19 3:57 AM, mick crane wrote:
hello,
what tests can I do to find out what is happening with internet connection ?
I have pfsense as router connecting to ISP's broadband box.
I think pfsense does that DHCP but also I might have names to ipadresses in host files but just for local network addresses. I have debian apache on local network offering a page with links like my bookmarks

Problem is there is one site that sometimes it loads sometimes it times out.
I connect from windows-> apache web page of links-> internet site.
I've run wireshark in the past but have no idea what to make of the results.

What can I run and where to see where is not working ? If is me or them.

Please post the URL for the "one site".

If all the other links work on the Apache web page of links, then the most likely problem is related to the "one site". But if you have problems with multiple links, I would suspect configuration settings for the pfSense box and/or the ISP gateway. If you have a reputable ISP, it is unlikely the problem is their equipment.

As another reader suggested, divide and conquer -- plug a laptop directly in to the ISP gateway and test. Then insert pfSense and test.

Michael W. Lucas, 2015, "Networking for System Administrators", is helpful:

https://mwl.io/nonfiction/networking#n4sa

In any case, beware that changes to networks and networked devices can take minutes, hours, or days to propagate throughout the entire system. I have seriously confused myself more than once by making changes faster than the total system can react. If you are working within a LAN, one approach is to make a change, do an orderly power down of all equipment (phones, pads, pods, computers, printers, routers, gateways, modems, access points, etc.,), and then do an orderly power up, one device at a time, and verify everything as you go. For external resources where you have root access, you can restart services and/or reboot. But, sometimes all you can do is wait and see.

David