Re: Accessing a host with variable IP addresses / connection types

On 10/25/2019 4:14 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 25 October 2019 09:13:31 Greg Wooledge wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 08:56:19AM -0400, Celejar wrote:
>>> Basically, the home network uses 192.168.0.0/24, as do other LANS I
>>> connect to.
>>
>> So change your home network.
>
> 192.168.0.## and 192.168.1.## are the last two blocks I would ever use
> for a home network. The potential for a miss-behaving router messing
> with your security is mind boggling.  Fortunately for better endowed
> routers that can be reflashed, there is dd-wrt.  No NSA back doors,
> nothing gets thru it you didn't allow.  It has stood guard over my
> machines for around 20 years now.

If you can only control one of the network involve, I would recommend to
use addresses from the class A of the RFC 1918.
That way, you midicate as much as possible Ip addressing conflict.

If you can not avoid Ip addressing conflict, NAT could be used on both
ends to work around this.

The URL (1) has some alternatives to ddWRT.

1)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_router_firmware_projects

--
John Doe