Re: Accessing a host with variable IP addresses / connection types

On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 09:25:41 +0200
deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:

> Celejar wrote:
>
> > We had a long thread about this back in April [0], but no good solution
> > was presented, so I decided to design a framework to address this
> > problem. It's probably overkill, but it was a good opportunity to
> > practice my Perl in general, and learn how to write a web application
> > in particular. So FWIW, I give you 'dynhosts':
> >
> > https://github.com/tmo1/dynhosts
> >
> > [0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2019/04/msg00725.html
>
> Don't know about you, but I setup my VPN, so that I can reach the
> 192.168.x.x network and have no problem resolving the hostname in the
> intranet.

I'm not sure exactly what networking scheme you're describing, but I
explained why there's no easy, good solution in the original thread.
Basically, the home network uses 192.168.0.0/24, as do other LANS I
connect to. My VPN uses 10.0.0.0/24. When the laptop is connected
locally at home, it's 192.168.0.x, but when it's connected remotely,
it's 10.0.0.x.

Just to be clear, the issue is not reaching the hosts on the local
network from the laptop: that's simple. The issue is having the hosts on
the local network be able to initiate connections to the laptop without
knowinng or caring whether it's connected locally or over the VPN.

Celejar