Re: [OT] replacement for SystemRescueCD

Doug McGarrett wrote:

> > > Guys, thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure what I will do yet.
> >
> > Hi,
> > I'm sure you don't intend to offend, but in future please try
> > to choose words that cannot accidentally be understood
> > as excluding valued members of this community.
> >
> > Even though in some situations "guys" is claimed to be a
> > gender-neutral word, I doubt that everyone thinks of themselves
> > as a "guy". And it will be polite to those people to not make them
> > choose between doing that or feeling excluded.
> >

> I first heard some young women use the word "guys" for a group of themselves
> back around 1956. So it's not a neologism!

Neither is singular "they". Nevertheless, it's rude to assume
that everyone worth having their feelings considered is male.

"Folks", "People", "Fellow users", or in the examples above,
just starting with "I have a problem" and "Thanks" all work
pretty well. There are also fun neologisms like addressing
people by common characteristics -- e.g., calling the
inhabitants of debian-user "Debians".

"Thanks, Debians."

-dsr-