Re: [OT] replacement for SystemRescueCD

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019, 13:54 Thomas D Dial <tdial@acm.org> wrote:
On Tue, 2019-10-22 at 22:02 -0400, John Covici wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 21:30:25 -0400,
> Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
> > [1  <text/plain; UTF-8 (7bit)>]
> > [2  <text/html; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
> > On Tue, Oct 22, 2019, 6:29 PM Default User <
> > hunguponcontent@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >  Guys, it seems like SystemRescueCD could be on the way out. Over 6
> > months since a release, and a quick glance at GitLab did not seem to
> > show any commits since then either (but I could be wrong).
> >
> >  I have looked for a replacement utility distribution, but just
> > can't seem to find anything good.
> >
> > You don't like knoppix? Or a derivative of it? I won't claim they
> > are feature equivalent, but can be made so IB.
> >
> >  If it is going to be abandonware, what then? Ideas?
>
> I need something with zfs capabilities, I don't think knoppix has
> that.]

I made one by installing buster on a USB key, then adding to that
buster-backports to that, generally following the instructions at

https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/wiki/Debian-Buster-Root-on-ZFS

stopping at the point where you would create zpools on the target. That
image is usable to do ZFS offline maintenance in case of problems as
well as to do additional installs, and can be kept up to date in the
usual Debian way. Given a large enough USB key, it should be
straightforward to install additional packages to make up a general
purpose recovery image, although I haven't done that as yet.

Tom Dial

Guys, thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure what I will do yet.