Re: Debian 8 how to install and run init.d scripts?

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 3:27 PM Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:
> But probably
> for Debian you are right, if I understood correctly, newer versions do not
> even support init.d / LSB anymore, so using systemd units seems to be
> required there.

This is not correct.  Debian's systemd will use init.d scripts in
compatibility mode.

Ahh, this sounds good! But how to do that correctly?

Installing the script and calling insserv does not work; by reading the
wrapper scripts I accidentally found that it works with I set
DPKG_MAINTSCRIPT_PACKAGE, otherwise it does not work.
I found no hint in the documentation and no helpful error messages
in the places pointed by it.
What am I missing?

Steffen