Re: Debian 8 how to install and run init.d scripts?

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 12:20:10PM +0200, Steffen Dettmer wrote:
> So you propose not to use init.d scripts. I usually prefer a simple shell
> script that is easy to test, systemd is just way to complex.

An init.d script is approximately 5 to 10 times as complicated as
a systemd unit.  Rough estimate, here.

> But probably
> for Debian you are right, if I understood correctly, newer versions do not
> even support init.d / LSB anymore, so using systemd units seems to be
> required there.

This is not correct.  Debian's systemd will use init.d scripts in
compatibility mode.  However, writing a brand new init.d script in 2019
is just pointless masochism, unless you're distributing a product that
has to run on a variety of init-systems.