Re: Top 7 Programming Languages That Employers Really Want

On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 22:50:29 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

>  > Top 7 Programming Languages That Employers Really Want
>
> Nobody has answered the question yet.

Because there isn't an answer.

Spend an hour or two with the job advertisements (which is what the OP
needs to do) to see the enormous range of what employers *think* they
want, and this is what the young ladies in HR will definitely require of
an applicant.

And it's not so much fundamental languages as the buzzwords, the
frameworks, 'agile' programming, AJAX, and things like proprietary CMS
(C for both content and customer) systems. Nobody ever asks for basic
programming skills. Here's a fragment of an advertisement in my country
picked at random:

"Knowledge of the following skills is important for this role:

    .NET
    C#
    MVC
    SQL
    SharePoint (Advantageous but not essential)

The role will be based in Central London. Depending upon your
experience and skills, the salary for this role is up to £50K."

I've never been near .NET or C# (the latter written by the main Delphi
developer). I look at this kind of thing now and again, just out of
curiosity, and I don't think I've ever seen a job where I tick all the
boxes, even at hobby level.

--
Joe