Re: OT Linux on Android mailing / discussion lists

Paul Sutton wrote:

> As I am aware this is off topic, (unless we can install Debian)are
> there any recommended mailing lists / forums for installing Linux on
> Android tablets please?  Asking here as I may get a useful answer to
> signpost me to somewhere useful.
>
> We have an old Storage Options scroll Excel II tablet which we would
> like to see if we can install Linux on to.
>
> I will ask on the specific mailing list,  however this device does
> have a chipset boxchip a10 (ARM) processor so it may be possible to
> install debian on.

There are many projects that deal with Linux on mobile devices. Most
successful and promissing IMO is Sailfish (Jolla). Unfortunately they do
not use debian like it was in Nokia N9.

The problem are the device drivers, the kernel and the boot procedure - as
soon as you have solved this - you can install any linux type on it.
Unfortunately not that easy. For example Jolla uses Sony AOSP that provides
access to boot loader, kernel and drivers for some of the Sony devices.
There is also a large community with a lot of ports to specific hardware.

regards