Re: lenovo t410 - i915 - black screen

On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 12:53:43PM +0000, Frederic Robert wrote:
> On 10/9/19 12:38 PM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 09:04:06AM +0000, Frederic Robert wrote:
> > > How to find the card model? lspci?
> >
> > lspci -nn
> >
> > This will include the 8-digit hexadecimal PCI ID number, which is the
> > best indicator of what's actually inside the machine.
> >

> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Core Processor
> Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0046] (rev 02)

OK, good start... this seems to be a roughly 9-year-old chipset,
with a code name of "Arrandale".

However, googling "lenovo t410" from the Subject: header led me to
<https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd006109> which says:

Video chipsets:
 * Intel HD Graphics
 * 256MB NVIDIA® Quadro® NVS3100M

Does this machine actually have both Intel and Nvidia devices?  If so,
it's seriously bad news, and it indicates you may have to try (and
probably fail) to use the stuff from <https://wiki.debian.org/Bumblebee>.

More likely, you'll end up disabling one of the devives at the firmware
level, and simply using the other.  But I'm not a laptop user, let alone
an Optimus laptop user, so I'm only relaying what I've heard from others.