Re: how to get odbc working for connection to mariadb in debian buster

Joe, on 2019-10-08 :
> On Tue, 08 Oct 2019 15:02:26 -0400
> John Covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
>
> > I am on stable, (buster) and I have no such package.  I wonder if it
> > would even install on buster, if I could find the .deb.  I am pretty
> > sure my client does not want me to go to sid.
> >
> No, it's new in Debian and only in unstable so far:
>
> mariadb-connector-odbc (3.1.1-1) unstable; urgency=medium
>
>   * Initial release (Closes: #930445)
>
>  -- Bernhard Schmidt <berni@debian.org>  Fri, 31 May 2019 19:40:33 +0200

Oops, I didn't foresee this...

> May 2019, but after the buster release freeze. You could check the
> dependencies against buster (I don't have one, my former stables are now
> oldstable): https://packages.debian.org/sid/odbc-mariadb
> If they do match, the .deb is available here.

I could get the "odbc-mariadb" package from Sid installed on
Buster by just copying it on the target machine, and running:

	$ apt install ./odbc-mariadb_3.1.1-1_amd64.deb

But past that point, I don't know much how to check it properly
works with both ODBC and MariaDB from Buster.  But if
dependencies are properly stated in the control file, then
logically, it should work.

> Is there really no way other than ODBC?
>
> Possibly it has improved a lot, but I stopped trying to make it work
> when the LibreOffice Base native MySQL connector finally started working
> some years ago. At that time, ODBC on Debian was an utter shambles,
> almost completely unusable, the GUI editor was not even functional
> enough to be a joke.
>
> Does your client application really not have a native MySQL connector?
> I sometimes use Microsoft Access with a MariaDb backend, and even that
> has a MySQL driver, though possibly not written by the masters of
> Not-Invented-Here.... I have a feeling it came from MySQL themselves.

Well, in regular societies, it's the client that brings the
money to the company.  Should this being put on the table,
better make use of a generous slice of diplomacy.

Kind Regards,  :)
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>
Fingerprint:  5ab1 4edf 63bb ccff 8b54  2fa9 59da 56fe fff3 882d