Re: checking ssh server is running

On Sat, Oct 05, 2019 at 08:03:31PM +0100, Paul Sutton wrote:

> On 05/10/2019 17:15, mick crane wrote:
> > On 2019-10-05 17:01, Paul Sutton wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I am trying to figure out how to check if ssh is running using
> >> systemD which is of course what Debian and Raspbian use.
> >>
> >> However my search term
> >>
> >> system d check ssh server is running
> >
> > If it's the client on the same PC you'd know. if sshd "systemctl
> > status sshd" or "ps ax | grep ssh"
>
> Hi
>
> Thanks for this,  should be really helpful. To give some background as
> what this is for. At the South Devon Tech Jam we one of the Google AIY
> voice kits,  it needs me to ssh in to complete the set up process.
> One of the Young regular attendees has sort of taken on the project
> but this. I am helping a little in between doing other things at the
> event.
>
> Network wise, so far I can ping from another pi / device on the
> network and the AIY kit can ping back. So we know there is a network
> connection between the two devices.

Agreed, so far.

> However I can't ssh in (no route to host),

This is strange: this would suggest a problem at the network
level, even before the ssh protocol dance can begin. If you're
sure you're seeing this error message, the only explanation
which occurs to me is that ping and ssh are trying different
networks (e.g. one via ipv4, the other via ipv6). If the host
were reachable for your ssh client trying to establish a connection,
and the sshd on the other side was down, you'd probably see
a "connection refused".

I'd try a ssh -v (for more verbose output even twice the -v or
three times) and see what your client says.

How are your "ping" and "ssh" commands exactly?

Cheers
-- t